Made in London, England
A fine old violin by Auguste Delunet, labelled Pollastri. Delunet was at one time head of the workshop of W.E.Hill & Sons, and the English materials and quality of finish in keeping with the Hill tradition is seen here. Coupled with beautiful French varnish and technique, this is a very fine example of his work.
This violin belonged to Emanuel Hurwitz and was regularly used when leading the Philharmonia Orchestra and while making recordings with the Melos Ensemble.
Auguste Delunet was at one time, head of the workshop of W.E.Hill & Sons and would have been in charge of overseeing all violins, violas, and cellos made by the workshop.
Founded by William Ebsworth Hill at Wardour Street in 1880 and moved to 38 New Bond Street in 1887, ten years later relocated to 140 New Bond Street. In 1887 built workshops in Hanwell and extended them in 1904. The name W. E. Hill & Sons is built on a long family history of violin making, going back to William Ebsworth's great-grandfather, Joseph Hill. The firm soon gained a widespread reputation for expertise and dealing in fine instruments. They were also established as makers of instruments, bows, cases and fittings. A Hill's Certificate of Authenticity is considered definitive worldwide throughout the firm's history and their publications on Stradivari and Guarneri are still industry standards.
Many fine craftsmen worked for the firm. For much of the 20th century, the Hill workshop employed England's best bow makers, who created bows renowned for character and consistency. Hill violins, cellos and cases are also highly regarded. Their other products included varnish cleaner, violin e-strings, rosin, peg paste, music stands, chinrests, and specialist tools.
Get in touch
We'll be in contact within 24 hours